Visiting the doctor's office in Taoyuan
After another fitful night of coughing and insomnia, at Kort's advice I went to see a doctor with the help of a friend. We went to a small drop-in clinic in Taipei County where my friend frequently goes for health issues. The medical assistants wear bright pink cardigans and white shirts with pink Peter Pan collars and white polyester skirts. The pink of their sweaters matches the pink of the counters and office trim. I had a thermometer stuck in my ear and got my number, waited about 15 minutes before getting seen by a doctor with some English speaking abilities. I summarized my symptoms and then guiltily owned up to exposure to live chickens. The doctor said, if you had bird flu, it would be a first in Taiwan, and we'd have to hide and get rid of you. To check my lungs, the nurse stuck out a red plastic bird on the end of a long stick with a movable windmill-like tail. Blow and make the bird move the doctor ordered. I almost laughed too hard to do as he asked, but the tail spun around and I was clear of respiratory failure. After reviewing my list of drug allergies, the doctor was a bit concerned about prescribing the wrong drugs and said to my friend in Chinese that he could get sued by the American if he screwed up the prescription. I've got drugs for coughing, drugs to aid with sleeping, drugs for stomach upset, and drugs for fever. And then as I was saying goodbye to my friend, she shoved a bunch of vitamins in my purse. The whole thing cost about U.S. 16 dollars with drugs included and no insurance. A little peace of mind for a nominal price. I am hoping that once I get this health thing under control, some refocusing and writing will happen.


<< Home