Friday, January 13, 2006

Dihua Market

Though I was there last week and managed to not take any pictures, I was very unprepared for what greeted me at the market this week. I had read in the paper that the mayor would officially open Dihua Market today to mark the beginning of celebrations for the New Year. As I approached the market, I began to see some decorations on the street signs at Chang'an and Ta Cheng - didn't think much of it. I arrived to find the market completely transformed. All the vendors, many with wireless mics, were out in the street with stalls full of candies, sweets, teas and meats. A temporary stage had been erected where a press event was taking place and the business of the market had all the feel of a state fair. The temple of the City God was almost unrecognizeable, a tent erected over the whole structure and a temporary display to the right of the temple with several deities I did not recognize. Whereas the offerings last week on the city god's shrine were fairly paltry, today his shrine was heaped with fruits and paper. I have to believe that the local business people spent weeks preparing a surplus of food for this event, drying foods and prewrapping items in order to make the whole thing run.